Wednesday 19 January 2011


I reassure myself by thinking that everything changes.

It's weird to think how you were, a year ago, and how different everything all is now. And the things that have happened to you in the interim, the people you've met, the places you've been, the fun and the heartbreak that you've had and all of the other littler emotions in between.


There's a guy who I've known for a long time, probably since I was about nine or ten. And a little while ago, we got together, in a very once-off, casual kind of way. But it's bizarre to think that that nine year-old would never, in a million years, have dreamt that one day she'd be holding this man. (I mean, I guess that's not the kind of thing that a nine year-old thinks anyway, but you know what I mean). And the fact that he's now a man. It sounds silly; an obvious truism. But the way that things can change in a year! The way that we can look at people who we've known for years in a completely different light. Isn't that strange? Isn't it funny?
The way one person changes, all the shifts and minuscule transformations that one person will go through in order to turn them into an adult. The person you are now is impossibly different from the person you were when you were a kid. Barely a relation between the two at all.

So I draw comfort from this fact.

I look forward, just remember that next year, everything will all be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment