Saturday 17 March 2012

ghostpress


Am toying with the idea of whether to put any journalism of mine up on this blog. For instance, I write a 'Week in Performing Arts' round-up style article for the campus newspaper I'm a part of every Wednesday. I'd like another store for my articles, another way of showcasing them, and it would provide a history for them. But I don't want this to become a theatre blog. I want to write about sex, and nice underwear, and travelling, and books I've read and things I've seen, and PR, and people I've met, and plans for the future. And I want to post nudey photos.

And at the minute, my plans for the future? Without saying too much (I'm not superstitious, but I'll admit that I tend to avoid jinxing stuff, a bit pathetically), I've had a few phone interviews, a few assessment days, a few emails winging back and forth, and a lot of polite handshakes and salutations. Fingers crossed something will come of it, and who knows? Maybe this time next year I'll be working in London in a PR office somewhere. Or maybe I'll be leaning out of the back of a truck in South America, yelling and whooping my head off, with a bottle of tequila in one hand and a novel by Jorge Luis Borges in the other. Who knows.

It's that time of year again when you start planning your summer. I'd love to go back to work in C venues in Edinburgh; it's been one of the best things I've ever done. But I'm loathe to repeat the same experiences, however amazing, because somewhere there is something new that I could be doing. Also I think it may have been one of those summers where everything falls into place: the fact that the people I worked with happened to be incredible, generous, talented people; the fact that I was single (and with that, a sense of freedom); the fact that I met some great contacts while I was there, that I had learnt from my past Edinburgh experience and used it to make this time round so much better. So many good things happened whilst I was there, and so many good things came out of it. I was very lucky with the people I met, and will forever be grateful to a certain few for making that summer what it was.

Speaking of people I met last summer: I'm trying to keep in contact with the two Americans who I couchsurfed with when I was travelling in Pamplona in September. I've been thinking about this for a while: my graduation present to myself will be San Fermin. I have always, always wanted to see the bull run (probably ever since reading Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises), and it's a great festival and there's a lot of merrymaking and happy drunkenness. I want to go alone, although hopefully either couchsurfing again with my American friends or at least meeting up with them, and see who I meet and just experience the festival as only a twenty-one year old can. Cos I'm twenty-one this year. Isn't that the age of invincibility or something?

I guess general news about me: TakeOver Festival 2012, the theatre festival on which I am working at the moment at York Theatre Royal, and which will take place from 21 May to 9 June, is really starting to pick up pace. I constructed a general press release for the festival and have sent it out to all of the local and national press. Now starting to plan press nights with the Events Officer and with the companies, plus constantly reworking and adding content to our website. I'm in charge of the Twitter and Facebook accounts, and seem to be having a whale of a time by myself, tweeting stupid puns into the void. Have a look at some point, just to make that void slightly less void-like. Other news is that I've somehow acquired a boyfriend, heaven forbid. He's absolutely gorgeous. And that's all I shall say on the matter.

Term's finished, I'm prattling away on blogspot rather than doing, oooh, I don't know, ANY of the three essays I need to do over Easter, and I'm gently nursing a hangover with Vitamin C tablets and a lot of household chores. I think I'm going to go to work now.









No comments:

Post a Comment