Friday 27 January 2012

mostly rural humming

poplie, urban humming stereo.


God, it's been a mad week. Second night of the pantomime done and dusted, and done well. Over 550 people have seen the pantomime so far - that's an amazing number!
I can't sleep right now. I guess I'm a little wired because of the good show tonight, because I haven't really stopped for days, because I've got an interview in Leeds tomorrow I'm excited for (and should really, really get some rest for).



I regularly read the H+K Web Curios blog, which is so incredibly on the ball and just so damn interesting. I have to stop myself from just lifting content from it and accidentally passing it off as my own. I'm telling you this now so when I link to things that I would only have found because of the H+K blog, I'm basically telling you that it's not because I'm really good at finding quirky things on the internet. It's because I'm a whore for information, and I don't care where I get it from, and I will spread it around like butter on a crumpet. Or like a venereal disease, if we're sticking with the whore metaphor.


And so. This article is so vital for the communications industry that it reaches Biblical proportions. Particularly number 4 in the list. How often do we see those inane 'conversation-starters' on Twitter? I think that IdeasTap, for example, do a good job of connecting with their members. Their engagement with the #fridayplaylist hashtag a few weeks ago had the additional instruction to find songs with instructions in them. (My contribution, if you were wondering: Otis Redding, 'Try A Little Tenderness'). It's not inane, because it's drawing on the already-popular weekly hashtag, but it adds something and makes it more interesting to engage with. I think it coincided with a brief that they were advertising on their site as well.




Do you love visualizations? I bet you do; they're all the rage. I personally freaking love them. I'm not a particularly visual person in terms of learning by images or graphs, as I'm more wordy than that: I read a sentence over and over and I've got it stuck in my brain like some verbal barnacle. But visualizations are so clever. I probably like them in a magpie sort of way: because of the pretty colours, because the pixels move oh so quickly! etc,etc. Take a look at One Hour Per Second. It'll blow your mind. It really brings home just how fucking global YouTube (and, in turn, things like Facebook) are. They will take over the world. No doubt.
(P.S The visualization goes on forever. But hey, I can't sleep right now so what else do I have to do? And the pretty colours... - oooh, look! The nyan cat is farting rainbows!)






No comments:

Post a Comment